Saturday, March 21, 2009

CPAT day

Another test/certification day has come. Today, in about 2 hours, I will be lining up to do the Candidate Physical Abilities Test. It is a timed test that I have to complete 8 stations in ten minutes and twenty seconds. It will be a hard fought 10 minutes and twenty seconds, but one that I am confident that I will be able to succeed in doing. I have visualized these event a thousand times in my head, been running at least twice a week for about 2 months and, most importantly, I have a never say die attitude. Basically they will have to drive me to the hospital before I would quit. If I do end up failing this test it will be my body shutting down on me way before I throw in the towel myself.

I try my hardest to no believe in jinxes, coincidences or any divine intervention kind of stuff. I am working this morning and will go straight from my bank job to take the test. My first customer this morning was an Overland Park firefighter cashing his pay check. Can't help but feel that is a good sign. My wife thinks it is god talking to me. I highly doubt that but if it is my only words back to him would be there is a lot bigger issue to worry about than my CPAT. Please go worry about something more important!

So the first station is that hardest one. They say 80 to 95% of the people who get passed the first station pass the test. Basically they wear you out, so then you have to do the rest of the test tired. You start with a 50 pound vest that has an extra 25 pounds of weight for the first station only. It is a brutal three minutes and twenty seconds on a stair mill at a rate of 60 steps per minute. Needless to say you are breathing really hard coming off those stairs.

Coming off the stairs they take the 25 pounds off and you do the rest of the test wearing only 50 pounds of weight. In between each station is 85 feet where you must walk as no running is allowed.

So 85 feet after the stair mill you arrive to the hose drag.

Pull the hose up and around a 90 degree turn then down to a knee and by hand you pull the remaining 100 feet of hose. After the stairs this will be a challenge but it is uncharged hose and that is a much easier feet than pulling a charged line.

85 feet later you are on to the equipment carry.

Carrying two unequal sized saws down a path and back while safely lifting and carrying them. this is a good chance to make up time with big steps and a chance to take a breather.

Another 85 feet and we are on to the ladder raise.

One ladder you throw up against the wall by walking in rung by rung until it's tip touches the wall. then a step over and you must extend a ladder by using the halyard. This must be done in a hand over hand fashion and you can't let it slip or fall uncontrolled.

You guessed it, 85 feet later the forcible entry station.


Any where from 5 to 20 hits with a sledge hammer will get you by this station. When practicing this one I was surprised that this station is more about technique than strength. If you hit the sweet spot on the prop it goes easier. You don't actually have to blow your wad trying to hit this thing as hard as you can.

After another 85 foot breather you are on to the search station.

After a crawl through a "maze" that is a dark u-shaped set of boxes that have a variety of heights and a few skinny sections to it. This is one where it is important to make sure you helmet and gloves are fitting ok!

Up from the darkness you walk 85 feet to the rescue station.

Pulling a dummy, I think it is 165 - 170 pounds, is a lot harder than it sounds. It is completely dead weight and the arms and legs can bend funny ways that most humans don't. But this is the next to last station and there is no quitting allowed. Especially at this point.

The last 85 feet takes you to the ceiling breach and pull station.

The last one, things are really difficult now. Pushing the machine up 3 times and pulling it back down 5 times is one set. Four sets need to happen and then time expires.

Are you ready to go, or tired from reading? I am ready to go...

1 comment:

  1. It was God talking to you. Just reminding you that He is with you. He wasn't worried about you... He just wanted you not to worry. Believe in Him. Trust in Him. Follow Him.
    CONGRATS on passing... you need to update your posts!!!

    ReplyDelete